You are visiting the "Bewick" page.
Don't forget, click on the "back" button
to return to the "Timeline" page.
Thomas Bewick (1753-1828), the
famous English engraver, included illustrations on what he called "The
Shepherd's Dog" and "The Cur Dog" in his History of Quadrupeds
published in 1790. The engravings were included in James Watson's
book, The Dog, published in 1905-1906.
Line drawings of these two engravings also appeared in Ash's The Practical Dog Book, (1931), page
108. Ash identified Bewick's "The Shepherd's Dog" under the name "The Collie" on page 107.
The Cur Dog" by Bewick was
called "The Bob-tailed Dog or Cur Dog" by Ash on page 107.
The collie dog on the right is the first
image of a rough collie according to James Watson, The Dog, page 346. He
"We have already mentioned that it was probable the term
collie was confined to parts of Scotland, and that it found
headway down the east coast as far as Northumberland, where Bewick gives it as applied to both rough and smooth, and also
gives the first representation of the rough dog as early as
Watson also points out one characteristic
found in all the old-time drawings of collies (the twist at the
end of the tail). He concluded this characteristic was
being bred out of the breed since such tails were now seldom
Bewick engraved an image referred to as "The
Large Rough Water Dog." It is shown below and is remarkably similar to
that of Buffon's drawing above